Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been trying to fight it! But I can feel the winter slowly but surely approaching...it’s getting darker a little earlier every afternoon, and the mornings are becoming hazier and lazier.
At times, I find it harder to keep a smile printed on my face when it’s dull and chilly outside… and oh yes I am more of a beach aperitif than a mulled wine type! If like me, you find yourself fighting the winter blues up and down and all around, here are 8 things I find normally help me:
1. Get up early! Just before the sun is rising, and watch the golden yellow melon climb up as you are jogging (yes, in the cold!) or cycling down the street. Trust me, you will marvel at the world waking up and feel empowered by the exercise.
2. Meditate! Try the Headspace app for a few minutes every day to help you stop those thoughts swarming around and achieve more focus in your daily activities. Yes there are days where you will feel truly happy just about the sheer fact that you exist and are aware of the spectacles happening around you!
3. Colour it up! Wear a bright nail polish or lipstick. Red normally works very well for me as it immediately brightens my day in the cold cold frost. Note: I’m not going to make this a gender specific tip. Frankly boys, cats, parrots and hermaphrodites- it is 2015 and if you feel like wearing polish on your lips and lipstick on your nails well bloody go for it! happy happy happy :-)
4. Snuggle under a blanket and watch Benny and Joon (1993) by Jeremiah Chechik! There is no way this movie won’t warm your heart- and the young Johnny Depp in it is adorable!
5. Steam it up! Have a sauna or (my preference) a Turkish bath – the warm air will give you and instantenous hug and you will chuck those toxins. If you are feeling like living the fancy life you could even head to the spa! If you are in Berlin head to gorgeous Liquidrom or Sultan Hammam.
6. Vinyasa! This is also on the meditation vibe note but taking a yoga class will loosen up all those tight spots that have stiffened in the cold and get your limbs flowing again. Any type of yoga will do but I personally would recommend a dynamic vinyasa class to kick some energy back into you.
7. CCC! Coffee, Cake and Chat with a close friend. Head to that favourite café of yours and reward yourself with a sweet treat. Or chocolate if that’s more your thing- my lovely friend Rachel told me there is a Rittersport café’ in Berlin Mitte where you can make your own chocolate bar if you are feeling creative ;-)
8. Head to a museum and draw! Winter is the perfect opportunity to head to that obscure and odd institution you always wanted to visit (whether you are a technology or taxidermy buff). Take a drawing pad with you and sketch away. Drawing is a meditative act and allows you to express yourself without using conventional language-which can be refreshing at times!
Möckernstraße 10, 10963 Berlin
Bülowstraße 57, 10783 Berlin
Franz. Str. 24, 10117 Berlin